Prevention of Swimmer’s ear
I believe you are reading this article because you would want some tips on preventing Swimmer’s Ear. First, we have to understand what is swimmer’s ear. Swimmer’s ear is an infection that’s usually caused by bacteria commonly found in water and soil. Infections caused by a fungus or a virus are less common.
The outer ear consists of the Pinna, Ear canal and up to the Tympanic membrane (eardrum). Usually, water will get trapped in the ear canal and if there is a concentration of bacteria in the water, the ear canal will be infected. Mostly, swimmer’s ear is caused by trap moisture in the ear canal and bacteria start to grow. This is very common in Singapore due to our humid and warm weather which is a favorable condition for bacteria growth.
Here are a few good habits to cultivate on keeping your outer ears dry and free from moisture.
1. Use a dry clean towel to clean your outer ear after a swim or bath.
2. Tip your head to the side to allow excess moisture to flow out.
3. Avoid putting foreign objects into your ears. (Yes that means do not dig your ears with dirty fingernails)
In case one did not know, some of our ear canals are different from the norm. They are different because some of us have narrower ear canals. Hence, moisture does tend to be easily trapped. Another thing that I believe is an Asian culture, which we would usually dig our ears with this thin metal rod to remove wax or dirt. If you are careless and accidentally scrape your ear canal wall hard, it might create a wound. When moisture gets trapped in it, bacteria growth will most likely happen.
You most definitely could put on ear plugs which will definitely prevent any moisture or even water getting into your ear canal. However, most would find it very uncomfortable. Therefore, I would highly recommend Auro Dri, a few drops before or after a swim or bath, it could help prevent moisture from being trapped.
Auro-Dri® Ear Drying Aid is safe, fast, and effective in relieving water-clogged ears. Use Auro-Dri® Ear Drying Aid to dry water in the ears and help relieve water-clogged ears after swimming, showering, bathing, or washing your hair.
- Unscrew cap from bottle
- Remove foil safety seal from bottle
- Affix applicator cap to bottle
- Remove red applicator cap tip
- Apply 4 to 5 drops in each affected ear
- Recap bottle after each use
- Keep away from heat or direct sunlight
- Store at room temperature 15° – 25°C (59° – 77°F)
- Do not use if foil seal imprinted with “SEALED FOR YOUR PROTECTION” under cap is broken or missing
- Keep carton for full drug facts
Isopropyl alcohol 95% in an anhydrous glycerin 5% base (ear drying aid)