Compulsory Travel License (STB) for Singapore Dive Centre
Most Singapore dive centres are actually conducting their business for scuba diving courses and dive travel without a valid license.
Under Section 4 of the Travel Agents Act (Cap. 334), a person carrying out the following activities would need to apply for Travel Agent’s Licence:
- Sells tickets entitling an individual to travel, or otherwise arranges for a person a right of passage on any conveyance (not being a prescribed conveyance);
- Sells to, or arranges or makes available for, a person rights of passage to, and hotel or other accommodation at, one or more places (being places within or outside Singapore, or some of which are within and others of which are outside Singapore);
- Purchases for resale the right of passage on any conveyance (not being a prescribed conveyance);
- Carries out such activity as may be prescribed; or
- Holds himself out as, or advertises that he is, willing to carry on any activity referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (d).
Operators carrying out activities in (a) do not require a license if they intend to use conveyances owned by them, and operators carrying out activities in (b) do not require a license if they own both the conveyance and place of accommodation.
Engaging in the business of a Travel Agent without a valid license is an offense under the Travel Agents Act.